Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Citrus Juicer Knife Block

As a Chef good storage and care of my knives is essential, however I also like things to look good and evena little quirky. My ideal for knife storage is magnets as there is nothing for the blades to rub against, as they are being put into a block, and becoming blunt or damaged.

So I asked IR if we could have a magnetic strip attached to the wall above the stove. He was not happy with this idea as it had to be screwed into the tiles. He was worried the tile would break during the drilling process or we would want to move the magnetic strip and be left with ghastly holes in our wall that could not be repaired.

The internet then became my best friend as I became rather obsessed with finding a magnetic knife block that would stand on the bench and be just that little bit different. There were a few options that were basically just wooden blocks with magnetic plates covering them. I was starting to think I was going to have a run of the mill knife block. What a tragedy!

But then I stumbled across the oddest looking thing. Was it a giant citrus juicer or was it at knife block? Well of course it was a knife block and it was so different I had to have it. Then I discovered the price. I was gob smacked, it was a rather extravagant and didn't even include knives! When I told IR I'm sure he was only seconds away from fainting. However as I said I just had to have it, but the problem was the site I was looking at was not Australian.

After a little more research I found a place in Brisbane that stocked my much sought after knife block. IR still was not convinced as he thinks it is rather hideous, but off I went to Layby it.

6 weeks later and it was mine. It has taken pride of place on my kitchen bench for a few months now and I could not be happier about how my knives are stored. As far as I am concerned it is practical, safe for my knives and rather quirky.

No comments:

Post a Comment